A local arborist describes how to effectively use mulch around your trees.
The Benicia Tree Foundation uses organic mulch in all our planting projects for the following reasons:
- Reduces the amount of water needed in your yard by 10-25%
- Decomposes and releases nutrients into the soil
- Reduced soil compaction so roots can breathe
- Maintains soil temperature and protects roots from cold and heat
- Discourages grass and weeds – which compete for nutrients – from growing near the tree trunk
Traverso Tree Service in Martinez has some advice on this practice and tells you how to get free wood-chip mulch. Click here to read more.
Above: Photo of BTF volunteers by the tree they just planted and mulched along Rose Drive last November.